Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sleet & Snow

Heading back from Yorkshire we planned to drive back through (and over) the northern part of the Peak District national park having a nice pub lunch along the way. The pub lunch worked out well at the Dog & Partridge Inn. Snow was falling as we entered...after we finished lunch the landlady informed us the road through the park had just closed due to a jack knifed lorry and the heavy snow which was causing cars to slide all over the place.

We went out to the car to find it white. Wound down my window to clear the snow but it all tumbled in on my lap. Lol. Had to hike up to Huddersfield to come back via the M62 motorway but the snow going over the Pennines got very heavy indeed. I commented to Carole that if we got snowed in on the motorway we would be the best prepared with all of our bedding and food from the caravan stay. But we made it down eventually and things speeded up.

Our current car is a Vauxhall (Holden) Astra Estate (Wagon) and I have been struggling with it at night since the low beam is terrible and dangerous. After getting back to Nantwich I mentioned to Trev that I thought it would fail its MOT (roadworthy). He said to double check it didn't have an electronic adjustment. Frustratingly there were no owners manuals in the glove box but sure enough after some fiddling and experimenting I found an adjustment that raised the headlight angle!

Rare weekend without a match since we're already out of the FA Cup so there's a night out planned with the cousins at the excellent Bhurtpore Inn (http://www.bhurtpore.co.uk/) which is a beer lovers nirvana featuring a swag of guest ales on tap. My A to Z is going to get some attention!

1 comments:

Jo said...

Tony I seem to recall we found you some obscure beers on the A-Z guide,I hope they were worth it as I do believe you were needing some TLC the next day not that we gave you any...especially the thrashing you got on the squash court off Glen!!!