Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Ski Selfies

First day of skiing this trip.  Beats working but it wasn't the best days skiing ever.

Since we were going to football games in Auckland and Wellington we opted to ski Mt Ruapehu on the North Island rather than fly south to Queenstown.   Think I would rethink that if I had the decision over.

Mt Ruapehu appears to be very exposed to wind.  Today was supposedly moderate.   If that's true I dont ever want to see strong or severe winds.

Since booking we've been noticing that some of the lifts or even the entire resort can be closed due to winds.

It is what it is I guess.  

Also wasn't impressed that you can order a beginners 3 day package but intermediate and advanced skiers are left to pay a daily rate with no discount for multi day packages.  Thats just silly.

Maybe I'm turning into a Euro ski snob.  But the all inclusive packages we can book out of the UK to all sorts of interesting European locations are seriously cheap. Airfares, accommodation,  transfers, lifts, lessons equipment for not a huge amount more than we pay for lifts & equipment in NZ.  Ski in ski out, cultural activities.   I dont think I'd get a gig promoting skiing in NZ (or Oz for that matter) lol.

The Kiwis are mega friendly tho.  They have this no worries easy going attitude that you just have to love. 


0 comments: