Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sorry

Have to say I think Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generations was a very important piece of Australian history and that he (and his speech writers) nailed it.

I'm a realist and my conservative estimate is that more than 50% of the population have racist tendencies (75% in the over 50 age group). I think Rudd's apology not only hit a chord with the Indigenous People it was aimed at but it also did a good job of explaining to Joe Public why it was necessary.

There were no qualifications about past policies being well intentioned as per Nelson. It was just a genuine heartfelt apology.

It was the first time I have actually considered him to be statesmanlike. Any qualms I had after his cheesy acceptance speech have breen dispelled.

And best of all, he took the opportunity to set some targets that have the potential to make a real difference to the well being of Indigenous Australians. Let's hope they can be met or at least some real progress can be made.

If a government was to come into my home and take Ben away and place him in another culture without a valid reason, and there was nothing I could do to challenge the decision or get him back, I know how I would feel.

What about you?

0 comments: