Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's All About The Root-Em.

Our ski instructor Pasi's English is excellent but he struggles with pronunciation of certain words. It took us an hour one day to work out that when he said root-em to describe a technique to all ski down like synchronised swimmers with the same turns/speed etc that he was actually saying rhythm. We thought root-em was some sort of Finnish word that was the name of the technique lol.

Winter came to Finland 6 weeks late this year confirming my deep seated faith in Julia Gillard's carbon tax (cough cough) but it did have us worried that there would be enough snow by the time we went. There is tons. And Tuesday night it snowed heavily and dumped a mountain of fresh powder.

The other significant thing is that there is hardly anyone skiing. There are just a handful of people on the mountain each day and the lines for the lifts are non existent.

So tons of fresh snow + no lines = ski nirvana.

Carole spent ages pouring over the different resorts in many different countries in Europe (every few days I'd ask what she had come up with and it was always a different country) but she did very well finding Levi in Finland.

I'm skiing as well as I have ever skied and in the last couple of days it has all come together. I think I've just gotten over one of the big humps...I'm now finding I'm not having to think about things too much, I just get into a good root-em and everything is just occurring naturally. Done some black runs and a bit of natural half pipe stuff but no real off piste skiing.

Today we also got to go skiing as a family for the 1st time since Ben has also come ahead in leaps and bounds. We're not just playing around with Ben on the nursery slopes, we're all skiing together. Pretty special.

0 comments: