Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lamb Lover

The next morning we drive to Gatwick along the snowy motorways without incident and check into our Premier Inn that is literally across the road from the terminal we have to go to the next morning. There is a fire drill (not like the one five minutes before the football games finish "is there a fire drill" is sung as the losing teams stream out) and unfortunately we are on the 9th and top floor! We head over to the terminal to have tea rather than stand around in the icy wind.

Arrived safe n sound in Singapore after 2 x 6 hour flights with Emirates.

Good

- New airbus 380 for 2nd leg with heaps of spare seats to stretch out and sleep.
- They gave Ben birthday cake when they noticed his birthdate when I booked (although flight was week early).
- Carole & Ben loved the live camera feed as we flew into Singapore, lots of idyllic looking islands and interesting container ships in the harbour etc. I said guys it all here out the window!

Bad

- tired old 747 on Dubai leg and a wet patch on my seat that soaked into my jeans (hope it was spilt drink rather than the alternative!). They did give me exit row seat with nothing in front after I told them so got to stretch out my bad (and good) leg but politely declined my "any room in business class?"

Funny

- the exit row they moved me too was one row in front and I was in between two guys of sub continent appearance who demanded mini spirit bottles like there was no tomorrow (insert bad taste suicide bomber joke here). Thought they were trying to set some sort of Rod Marsh, David Boon record. Every time a stewardess walked past they wanted 2 each and were very abrupt about it. And the guy on the left, let's call him Lamb Lover, went ape shit when there was only chicken tikka left and no lamb medallions. No no no! I want Lamb. Sorry sir but it is all gone. No no no. Find me some lamb. Go and get the person in charge (I wanted to lean over and say I think he's busy in the cockpit but thought it best not to). They left him sit without a meal for about half an hour and everyone else was finished before the boss turned up and was very placatory (he needed a slap, not apologies) What can I do to make it better? He finally accepted the chicken (and here's where it gets really funny), just after he finished it, the original steward turned up and said he found a lamb, Solid gold!

0 comments: