Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Friend Miguel

After checking in we wander around the complex, check out the ocean vista and have a couple of Portugese Sagres beers during happy hour. Very drinkable. After tea I wander back to the bar to see if I can get them to put the Sp*rs West Ham quarter final on the tv. It's not being shown live in England and the bar shares its satellite service with another bar but the super friendly barman Miguel does some ringing around and managed to find it on a portugese satellite channel just before kick off. As I posted on Facebook not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing since I fully expect to get thrashed. The signs are not good as we beat them 3-0 at Sh*te Hart Lane and they have been smarting ever since eager to get revenge and they sacked their manager a few days ago which normally signals a rapid improvement as all players lift to impress.

The 1st half goes well as we initially soak up the pressure and press very effectively in defence denying them any real opportunity and then as the half goes on we start to have some of the play. Not dissimilar from the 3-0 win. So 0-0 at half time. All to play for.

I zip back to our apartment to give Carole a quick summary of the half since she has no Internet and lost the toss so had to stay back and put Ben to bed.

We were holding our own in the 2nd half and the game opens right up but then Spurs break down the left, cross and Adebayour smashes it home. Groan.

After some attacking subs we throw everything at them and with 10 minutes to go Jarvis scores a cracking equaliser. I yell really loud jump up and run around my table a bit. I look over and Miguel the barman is coming over to me shaking his hands in the air and I think I'm in trouble for being too boisterous but he just wants to high ten me! Lol. Yes.

We continue to throw the kitchen sink at them and with 5 mins of normal time left we score a header to send our away fans mad and me too. This time I go outside to yell and Miguel comes outside to hug me and dance around!

We gold on to 90 mins and I groan again as the official signals 5 mins to be added on. Fortunately we hold on and we're in the semis of the league cup.

What a night. I want to stay and celebrate but need to get back and tell Carole all about it.

0 comments: